This holiday season, Social Studies is partnering with LG to bring you stories of Small Gatherings, Big Moments to encourage you to take the time to set the table with sparkling clean plates, and gather with the ones you love.
Last week Nicole Berrie showed us how she likes to throw a simple, elegant vegan Friendsgiving. And now she’s back to teach us a little lesson in leftovers. Because sprucing up your leftovers and having a family brunch is one way we can all contribute to a little less food waste this holiday season.
Nicole’s partner in crime against food waste? Her energy efficient LG QuadWash™ Dishwasher with TrueSteam® to rinse those pesky casserole dishes caked in sweet potatoes. The TrueSteam® feature produces sparkling clean glasses and plates every time, giving her more time with her family.
Heading into the holiday season, here are two tips from Nicole to lessen your food waste this celebratory season:
1. Make the Most of Leftovers
Leftovers have gotten a bad rap over the years but you just need some bright additions to perk them up. I love hosting a brunch for family and friends and spreading out last night's dishes with hearty sourdough toast, a vibrant salad and crunchy vegetables so that guests can make their own post-holiday dish. The DIY aspect is fun and casual and lends itself to great conversation.
2. Reduce Your Food Waste This Holiday
Reducing food waste is super important in our home and it's easy to give leftover veggies and grains a new spin with fresh greens for wrapping or cut crudités for dipping into salad dressings. Another fun way to give dishes new life is to blend roasted veggies with a little water, lemon juice and top with fresh herbs for a yummy winter stew.
We want to take the stress out of your holiday season, and can’t think of a better way than with the perfect pairing of Social Studies and LG. Together we let you focus on what’s important - the people you are gathering around the table - so you can truly have that Small Gathering, Big Moment we all want.
Here is another great recipe from Nicole, in partnership with LG Dishwashers, to encourage everyone to gather around the table (and reduce food waste!) this upcoming holiday season.
Nicole Berrie’s Holiday Massaged Kale Salad in Partnership with LG Dishwashers with TrueSteam®
- 2 bunches of curly kale
- 2 watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 4 golden beets, peeled and scrubbed
- 1 cup of raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Sea salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine spices and pumpkin seeds. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 10 minutes or until toasted brown.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- De-stem kale with your hands and chop or tear into bite-sized pieces. Put the radishes and kale in a large bowl.
- Cut beets into bite-sized cubes and steam or boil until tender. Let cool. Add to kale and radishes. Pour dressing over salad and massage well with hands. Top with toasted pepitas and enjoy!